Charging problems

HANDYMAN243
  • 1995 CHEVROLET BLAZER

I have a 1995 chevy s10 blazer that wont charge I have put on a new alternator and battery the battery light is not on. Gauge shows no charge. And where is output terminal at?

Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 1:36 AM

If the battery light is not on when the ignition switch is on, the wire going from the dash to the generator has a break in it. That is the turn-on signal for the generator. That break could be in the generator itself. First of all, double-check if the battery light comes on with just the ignition switch in the "run" position but the engine is stopped. If it does not, unplug the connector on the side of the generator. There should be a brown wire there. Ground that wire, then see if the light is on. If not, measure the voltage on that wire. If there is 0 volts, check the gauges fuse or look for a break in that wire. If you do find around 12 volts, the bulb is burned out in the instrument cluster. The circuit will still work. Measure the generator's output voltage. That is always the fat wire that is bolted on the back, never plugged in, ... Well, ... Except on a few Fords that like to burn up! Measure that voltage with the engine stopped and with it running.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 2:24 PM
HANDYMAN243

I just found the dash has been taken out to change the heater core, when I turn the key on nothing lights up but the gauges work, except the amp gauge it shows the life of the battery

+1
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM

Oooh. This is even better. If the cluster isn't pushed in all the way the circuit going to the generator will be broken and it won't get the turn-on signal. Measure the voltage on the brown wire at the generator. If you measure it with the plug disconnected, you should find around 12 volts there.

-1
Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 AT 1:08 AM
HANDYMAN243

Hey can the cluster be bad still no charge

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

Could be bad but not likely. More commonly, if it is not fully seated the circuit from the battery light to the generator, (brown wire) will be open circuit. That is the turn-on signal for the generator. That's why you should measure the voltage on that brown wire when the ignition switch is in the "run" position.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 8:42 PM
HANDYMAN243

There is no voltage at the brown wire there are three brown wires in the cluster plug they all appear to be the dash light wire if you run the brown wire to the alternator to the hot wire on the alternator the battery light comes on and the alternator charges

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:43 AM

There has to be a break in that brown wire. The most common place to find it is in the cluster connector. That circuit is fed from the "gauges" fuse. If that terminal had the bad connection the gauges wouldn't work either. It's the terminal going out to the brown wire that would have to be the problem. The only other possibility would be if there is a hairline crack in one of the copper circuits in the flexible circuit on the back of the cluster. I ran into that once for a high beam indicator light. That gave me the idea to create a tiny cut in the circuit for my students to troubleshoot. To see if there is a break on the cluster, use an ohm meter to test each circuit. Find the battery light and put one ohm meter probe right on the socket contact, then follow the circuit to the plug and put the other meter probe there. You should find 0 ohms. Test the other side of the bulb the same way. If you find an open circuit, there is a break in it. When you find it, scratch the plastic coating off and bridge it with a little solder but you should embed a thin piece of wire in it to prevent it from cracking from normal vibration. You can also run a longer wire between two points that are easier to solder to if the break is in a confined area.

+2
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:03 AM
HANDYMAN243

The bright light indicator dont work and the left turn signal dont work but the gauges do

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:16 AM

Unless you can see a damaged spot on the flexible circuit, I would suspect a problem with the connector not seating properly.

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:30 AM
HANDYMAN243

Hey was the cluster it was 35 bucks and thank you for all your help we will keep in touch thanks again.

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 12:22 AM