HOW DO I RESET THE IDLE ON CAR ONCE I HAVE CHANGED BATTERY

1995 Chevrolet Beretta

LalaLisha

March, 2, 2012 AT 11:11 PM

I changed the battery in my car this afternoon after several difficult starts and having the battery quality checked. Now since changing the battery the car is idling very very rough. I was told by one of the workers where I bought battery that I may need to reset idle. I disconnected cables then after reconnecting I allowed car to go thru different gears after allowing them to stay for at least one minute each then did the process all over again this time with the ac on. However the car is still idling rough. I should too mention that I took the car for about a ten mile drive as I was told that also may reset the idle. Now I am at a loss as to what to do because the car keeps trying to stall with every start up and every time I make a stop. Any ideas? Thanks

hmac300

March, 2, 2012 AT 11:46 PM

You ca't adjust the idle. Take some choke cleaner and clean the throttle plate on both sides as well as iac hole. Check for vacuum leaks, then scan for codes and check fuel pressure.

March, 2, 2012 AT 11:47 PM

The computer needs to relearn and does not require any resetting. Once the computer memory is erased, the relearning process would take a much longer time if the idle controls are not in good condition, ie dirty or partially clogged air passages, etc.

Clean the throttle body and IAC and retest.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000