WHY WON'T MY '95 BUICK RIVIERA START? LOUD BUZZING, ENGINE DOESN'T TURN.

• BukRiv95
  • 1995 Buick Riviera

When I turn the key (in both neutral and park), the engine doesn't turn. The only thing that happens is I get a mid-pitched, fairly loud buzzing sound from around the driver-side fuse box inside the car.
The battery is fairly new. All of the lights/dash/radio/etc work. Also what I assume to be a fuel pump (the motor-thing in the back of the car that runs after you shut engine off) still runs after every time it fails to start.
The car started and ran roughly 5 hours before this without issue. The last time I attempted to start it, the engine started to turn over, then died and started buzzing at me.

Thoughts?

Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

• rasmataz

Sounds like the starter motor overrunning clutch is slipping-have it checked

Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 9:42 PM
  • BukRiv95

Thanks, rasmataz.

I don't think the starter is running at all at this point. Someone looked at it while I was trying things and said the starter wasn't doing anything.

The noise sounds electrical in nature, not mechanical. But I could be wrong.

Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 9:54 PM
  • rasmataz

Short out the starter motor battery terminal to the small wire terminal and see what happens-if it engages check the park and neutral switch and the ignition switch

Friday, June 15th, 2012 AT 10:01 PM
  • BukRiv95

Problem solved. For future reference (anyone else): The starting issue was with the VATS/PASS-KEY II system.

There was an issue with the ignition switch and the wiring harness, so the security system wasn't getting the correct/any signal.

Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 9:37 PM