MY BUICK STARTED HAVING A RHYTHMIC MISS AT THE ...

• Charlieaz1
  • 1995 Buick Park Avenue

My Buick started having a rhythmic miss at the same time the engine light came on. I tried to access the codes but the OBD2 reader could not download any. Yesterday when I turned over the ignition, it let out (a short) what sounded like a backfire through the carburetor on older vehicles. I proceded to start the car at which point is ran smoothly & the engine light did not come on. This lasted about a day before it started missing & the engine light came back on. Please advise.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 8:32 PM

• saturntech9

So you have a 16 pin diagnostic connector?

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 8:48 PM
  • Charlieaz1

Yes, it is a 16 pin connector.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:00 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright I need some details here who tried to read codes and what brand model code reader was used?Because if the check engine light is coming on then you have codes in the computer.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:09 PM
  • Charlieaz1

It was at Autozone and I believe it was an Actron. He mentioned something about a "breakout box", not sure if that helps.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM
  • saturntech9

Heres the problem most 1995 gm cars still had the 12 pin od1 gm connectors. But some of them like yours had the 16pin od2 connector and were a hybrid between ob1 and obd2 so if you use a actron scan tool it has to be a cp9185 or cp9190 that also does obd1. Just because the auto zone scan tool plugged in doesnt mean it will read the car or codes.I hope this better explains why no codes showed up.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:28 PM
  • Charlieaz1

I just check the price for one online, $238.00 ouch! From how I described the symptoms, do you have any suggestions on possible causes?

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:39 PM
  • saturntech9

With the light on you could have a bad sensor or any number of issues as far as you buying a scan tool you need one that will do both obd1 and obd2. Let me look around and see what I can find for you.

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 9:48 PM
  • Charlieaz1

Thanks for your help, I'll look forward to hearing from you!

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 10:15 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright the innova 3120 does obd1 and obd2 but only freeze frame data of codes that were set and the codes that are set themselves no live engine data. The innova 3140 does all that plus some live engine data which is helpful sometimes for diagnosis of codes. Also make sure its lists your car that it will scan.

Friday, December 7th, 2012 AT 2:35 AM
  • saturntech9

You can always get a used scan tool.

Friday, December 7th, 2012 AT 3:26 AM