MY CAR IS 1

1994 Vauxhall Astra

hugger87

My car is 1.4 petrol, it has started making a loud clicking noise on start up when cold, but the noise goes away when it warms up, all fluid levels are good, no lights on dash, drives fine. Any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance

DrCranknWrench

It is probably a lifter that is going bad. Eventually it will tick all the time. You can still run the car as replacing it is a top end rebuild more or less.

hugger87

January, 15, 2013 AT 9:38 AM

Thanks for your help, I think I'll run it until it dies then. Thanks, how long do you reckon it would take to clap out? I do 12k a year

DrCranknWrench

It will get worder and worder power and noise wise. You can try ading some lucas Brothers oil treatemnt. Then when things really start making noise up the oil weight to a 10-30 or even 10-40. It will buy you some time and a little bit of power. It is hard to say how much time you have.
Don't make any of these changes until the noise moves to different parts of the engine as if it is a bad lifter just keeping the oil changed could get you a good bit of life out of the car and doing the things I aforementioned will shorten it. They are last ditch efforts when the engine has lost power and is makiong loud clacking noises.
Just continue with your regular oil changes but maybe bump them up to every 5000miles or 4828 kM. This will keep the oil as clean as possible and keep the lifter going as long as possible. Who know, you might get another 50,000 miles out of it.
Just keep an ear to the engine and examine the oil for particles of metal. If they are silver that is the first stage of deterioration. If it turns to brass or cpper colored particles that is the next stage of deteriation.
Good luck and let us know if you need anything else.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V