My instrument panel brake light stays on when the car is running.
1. Front and rear brakes have been inspected and cleaned. Plenty of material on both the front pads and rear drum brake shoes. No fluid leaking from rear cylinders.
2. Brakes lights light up fine (no burned out bulbs)
3. Fuses carefully inspected.
4. Check engine light is not on (apparently no trouble codes?). I have three 4-position plugs and one 6-position plug near the battery that various sources indicate should be used to show trouble codes. I've jumpered 2 and 3 on all the 4-position plugs, and B and D on the 6-position (tried each several times). Nothing produces any trouble codes on the check engine light at all.
5. Did a complete brake fluid flush--didn't fix. Inspected brake hoses, didn't see any leakage or apparent bulges.
6. No exterior leaking fluid from the master cylinder.
7. The brakes are soft (when applying pressure to the brake pedal), however. They will go about 1/2 way to the floor, and will go a little farther if pressure is kept on the pedal.
I'm out of guesses, except for suspecting a brake master cylinder with bad seals.
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 4:38 AM