IDLE PROBLEM

1994 Suzuki Sidekick

jeffandmarylynne

December, 9, 2011 AT 1:31 AM

GREAT running vehicle. Driven every day. Runs fine except idle. Starts up instantly, idles up, then immediately idles down and dies. With the Compressor kicked in, will idle just enough to keep running ( a couple hundred rpms). Turn compressor off, it dies. With the compressor on, I can take the connection off of the TPS and it dies. I assume this tells me that the TPS is working, but I could be wrong. HEELLLLLPP.
Skeptical about the website service, but thought I would give it a try. If it works out well, will definitely make donation next visit. Thanks so much. Jeff
Also, if I had filled in a dollar amount in the donation section (which if it were clearer, I probably would have anyway) how do I pay?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 9, 2011 AT 2:56 AM

Don't worry about paying until we get you fixed and back on the road. Even then, this is a free website, so you don't have to. It just helps keep things going.

As far as your problem, I believe you have a bad Idle Air Control solenoid, (IAC). In the newer cars, the throttle plate closes completely at an idle. However, the engine still needs air to run. The IAC is an electronic solenoid that is mounted on the throttle body. Based on information from the car's computer, the IAC determines how much air the engine needs to idle.

When you turn the AC on, automatically, the computer is designed to increase the vehicle idle due to the added load on the engine. Thus, in this case, it is keeping the engine running.

To check the IAC, remove it. Two screws hold it in place. At the end that pushes into the throttle body is a pintel valve. Have a helper turn the key on and off while you watch the pintil valve. It should move (slightly) in and out. If it doesn't, it is bad.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro