RUNS ON THREE CYLINDERS

1998 Suzuki Sidekick

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

I have the 1.6 motor and starts fine, but after one minute or so it starts to go wonky and runs on three cylinders. If you step up the rpms it seems to run smoothly. Was thinking perhaps the EGR valve?

regards
Mike in Canada

saturntech9

February, 5, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

Do you have any codes?

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 9:24 PM

@saturntech9 Yes, I have a code for the upstream O2 Sensor, that code has been there for over a year now. This problem just started up yesterday while driving, instantaneous.

Mike

saturntech9

February, 5, 2012 AT 9:43 PM

Do you know which cylinder it is?I would check spark on the missing cylinder and then compression on all the cylinders if the spark is good.

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

Hi Saturn
Thanks for the reply, just not sure where you are going with the compression test as the motor runs smoothly for the first minute, then slight miss here and there for maybe fifteen to twenty seconds, then just three cylinders.
Regads
Mike

saturntech9

February, 5, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Ok did not get the runs good at first you said suddenly it was running on 3 cylinders. So do you know which cylinder it is not running?If so does it loose spark on that cylinder?

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 10:44 PM

I don't know which cylinder is acting up. What could cause the spark to diminish or cease after running for nearly a minute? Of course I have had plugs just go, but can one actually functon intermitantly? BTW, thank you for your replies.

Regards
Mike

saturntech9

February, 5, 2012 AT 11:12 PM

You could have spark loss from a coil heating up and failing. Let it idle and miss pull a spark plug ire loose and see if it runs worse and looses rpms. Put the wire back on and go to that next cylinder till you find the cylinders that are not firing.

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 11:38 PM

Okay Saturn, I will be on that in the morning and will let you know.

Regards
Mike

Mike in Canada

February, 5, 2012 AT 11:40 PM

Saturn, not sure if you caught it, but the engine seems to fire and run well when the rpms are increased.

Regards
Mike

saturntech9

February, 5, 2012 AT 11:48 PM

I got that part even if your dropping a cylinder its going to be felt a lot more at idle. Then at higher rpms it can feel like its smooth out.I have seen that before also have seen that when cam timing is off it actual will smooth out at higher rpms.