GRINDING SOUND WHILE DRIVING

1994 Saturn SL2

texahoma

March, 10, 2011 AT 2:36 PM

1994 Saturn SL2
I have recently come across a problem that is troubling me. I was driving yesterday and heard a sound that resembled hitting something in the road, hitting the undercarriage. This spooked me a little as there was nothing in the road. The tires were due for rotation, so I asked them to take a look and make sure nothing was damaged, which they "didn't notice anything". Now today, on my way to my college class, the same sound happened twice in a row. My first thought was "back-firing". Then a grinding sound, later confirmed to be from the rear passenger side (wife assisted me in this). The sound is not constant, as in resembles a bent rim making contact most of the rotation. Visual inspection revels nothing making contact. Any ideas? Bearings, maybe?

saturntech9

March, 10, 2011 AT 4:33 PM

Possible a bearing they isn't much back there you have a sealed hub/wheel bearing and your brake's. Jack the car up put it on jack stand's. The spin the back wheel's with one hand then with the other have it on the coil spring see if you can feel or hear a bad bearing. Also grab the tire on the top and bottom of it and try to wiggle it there should be no play in the hub/bearing. Compare both side's to each other. Also inspect the brake's. Let me know what you find.

texahoma

March, 11, 2011 AT 1:20 PM

Checking for any play in the wheel revealed a barely noticeable motion. Also, I felt nothing when spinning the wheel while having my other hand on the coil. Removing the drum revealed the problem. The adjusting screw/bolt for the brake shoe was snapped in two and lying inside the drum. On my way to the auto parts store to pick up the needed parts to repair/replace.

saturntech9

March, 11, 2011 AT 3:49 PM

Glad to hear you found the problem did you also replace the hub assembly?If you had even a little play you have a bad wheel bearing.

texahoma

March, 11, 2011 AT 4:13 PM

The auto parts store had to order the drum and hardware kit. I will pick up the bearing when I go back to get the rest of the parts.

saturntech9

March, 11, 2011 AT 4:16 PM

Sound's like you have it all handled let me know if you have anymore question's.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte