HAVE A 3.1 LITRE V6 ENGINE THT WONT FIRE WHEN TURNING OVER

1994 Pontiac Sunbird

Clif

January, 29, 2012 AT 6:05 AM

Pulled into a parking lot on thurs and car stalled. Tried to restart and had no spark. Just turned over. Finally started firing and started but idled rough and died a few more times. Started and drove sluggish for a few miles then started and ran fine for 2 more days. Started car this morn and ran fine. Went to store and when came back out and started car it idled sluggish again then died. Had no spark and wuldnt fire then wuld fire but not start then had no spark at all and wuldnt attempt to fire again. Had car towed home. Culd this b my ignition module, crank sensor, or somthing else? Wht wuld cause the problem to arise then disappear then reappear again?

January, 29, 2012 AT 6:12 AM

Check thefuel pressure if is within specs, check injector pulses and look for spark

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Clif

January, 29, 2012 AT 6:34 AM

I knw ur not suppose to use starter fluid on fuel injection but I did today to test the fuel delivery as u r suggesting and the car still did not attempt to start so I dnt think its a fuel problem as it shuld hve at least tried to start and die again with the starter fluid. It has no spark so im asking wht wuld cause the symptoms I explained to come n go then stay for good, culd it b the ignition module

January, 29, 2012 AT 6:54 AM

You use the starting fluid and didn't combust at all-very obvious you don't have spark-start checking the ignition system

Clif

January, 29, 2012 AT 7:03 AM

Ive been saying to u tht I hve no spark in every msg.I already knw this thts why im asking u culd it b my ignition module or somthing else in the ignition system. Im just asking for advice on wheres the best place to start as I work on cars all the time im just not real familiar with pontiac. The ignition module is my first guess to chk but wuld like ur opinion

January, 29, 2012 AT 7:14 AM

Good place to start is at the crankshaft positioning sensor-To check the ICM you need a special tester

January, 29, 2012 AT 7:34 AM

CPS On right side of cylinder block.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011