CAR STALLS AT STOPS BUT IS FINE AFTER A FEW MILES..

1994 Plymouth Colt

mk1216

November, 15, 2010 AT 2:10 PM

1994 plymouth colt - 242k miles - automatic. When first putting in Drive or rev it will shutter and stall unless I give it lots of gas. It will do the same at stops until after I have gone a few miles and then it is fine. What could be wrong? This just started happening immediatly after getting my oil changed at a shop so I thought maybe something got knocked loose? No warning lights on. Thanks!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

November, 15, 2010 AT 3:32 PM

It sonds as if when your computer takes over operation of the engine everyting is ok. So you shold look for maybe a fuel problem. Your fuel pressure should be 38 at idle. It can also be that your throttle plate is a littel gunked up and can be easily cleaned with choke cleaner on both side. How ever check for loose or holes in yoru air duct goign to the throttle as this can effect it as well. Also check for a vacuum line off as the computer would enrichen the fuel load if this is the case.