Check engine light

CAMERONNKADEN
  • 1994 OLDSMOBILE 88
How do you pull cumputer codes with a paper clip? Cant afford to pay 200 to take it to a shop and get it hooked up. What holes do I stick the clip in.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:34 PM

SATURNTECH9
The top row far right end two terminal's.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:37 PM
CAMERONNKADEN
Ok and how do you know what the codes are? The check engine light will flash or something? And you just count how many time it flashes? All the info you could give would be really helpfull! Thanks!
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:52 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here's how to figure out what code number's you have let me know the number's and I will tell you what they mean.
SYSTEM CHECK:
The system check is performed through the twelve pin data link connector (DLC) under the instrument panel in the passenger compartment.

1. With ignition "ON" and the engine not running, observe the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The lamp should be"ON". This is a bulb check to verify the "SES" light is working, and that the computer can complete the circuit. If there is no "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light, refer to DIAGNOSTIC CHARTS/A-CHARTS/CHART A-1, NO MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures Related Tests and Information A Charts Chart A-1 No Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
2. Ground the diagnostic test terminal (connect DLC terminals "A" & "B") and observe the MIL lamp. When the diagnostic terminal is grounded with the ignition "ON" and the engine "OFF", the lamp will go "OFF" for a moment, then flash a code 12. Code 12 is displayed by the MIL lamp flashing once, followed by a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession, then a longer pause, and the code will repeat two more times. This is a diagnostic mode check. Code 12 displays to indicate the computers diagnostic mode is working. After code 12 is displayed a total of three times, any stored diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed in in the same manner, in numerical order. Each code will display three times before the next stored code. After all diagnostic trouble codes are displayed, code 12 will display again, and repeat until diagnostic mode is exited by removing the jumper wire from the diagnostic connector.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 2:24 AM
CAMERONNKADEN
I tryed it and it didnt work. The very last hole on the top there is that metel thing in it and the paper clip stays in good. But the one right beside it there isnt that metel thing that holds it in. Are you sure it isnt diffrent holes for my type car?
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 7:38 PM
CAMERONNKADEN
The light just stays solid.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
Look at the diagram I posted do you have a 12 pin connector which is the top one or a 16 pin one which is the bottom one?
+1
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 4:31 AM