Check engine light

CAMERONNKADEN
  • 1994 OLDSMOBILE 88
How do you pull cumputer codes with a paper clip? Cant afford to pay 200 to take it to a shop and get it hooked up. What holes do I stick the clip in.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:34 PM

SATURNTECH9
The top row far right end two terminal's.
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:37 PM
CAMERONNKADEN
Ok and how do you know what the codes are? The check engine light will flash or something? And you just count how many time it flashes? All the info you could give would be really helpfull! Thanks!
+2
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 11:52 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here's how to figure out what code number's you have let me know the number's and I will tell you what they mean.
SYSTEM CHECK:
The system check is performed through the twelve pin data link connector (DLC) under the instrument panel in the passenger compartment.

1. With ignition "ON" and the engine not running, observe the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The lamp should be"ON". This is a bulb check to verify the "SES" light is working, and that the computer can complete the circuit. If there is no "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light, refer to DIAGNOSTIC CHARTS/A-CHARTS/CHART A-1, NO MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures Related Tests and Information A Charts Chart A-1 No Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
2. Ground the diagnostic test terminal (connect DLC terminals "A" & "B") and observe the MIL lamp. When the diagnostic terminal is grounded with the ignition "ON" and the engine "OFF", the lamp will go "OFF" for a moment, then flash a code 12. Code 12 is displayed by the MIL lamp flashing once, followed by a short pause, then two flashes in rapid succession, then a longer pause, and the code will repeat two more times. This is a diagnostic mode check. Code 12 displays to indicate the computers diagnostic mode is working. After code 12 is displayed a total of three times, any stored diagnostic trouble codes will be displayed in in the same manner, in numerical order. Each code will display three times before the next stored code. After all diagnostic trouble codes are displayed, code 12 will display again, and repeat until diagnostic mode is exited by removing the jumper wire from the diagnostic connector.
+1
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 2:24 AM
CAMERONNKADEN
I tryed it and it didnt work. The very last hole on the top there is that metel thing in it and the paper clip stays in good. But the one right beside it there isnt that metel thing that holds it in. Are you sure it isnt diffrent holes for my type car?
-1
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 7:38 PM
CAMERONNKADEN
The light just stays solid.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
Look at the diagram I posted do you have a 12 pin connector which is the top one or a 16 pin one which is the bottom one? Depending on exact production date you may have a different connector
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 4:31 AM
JWVAN68
  • 1994 OLDSMOBILE 88
Check eng. Light comes on when decelerating or stop. Auto misses when trying to hold at, say 45mph. Turn off the ign.- Restart the car, check eng. Light is out. Drive a short distance, stop, check eng. Light comes back on. Its driving me crazy.
Wednesday, March 6th, 2019 AT 6:03 PM (Merged)
I need you to check for trouble codes. Here are directions as to how to retrieve them as well as a list of what they mean. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/buick-cadillac-chevy-gmc-oldsmobile-pontiac-gm-1983-1995-obd1-code-definitions-and-retrieval-method
ROBERTC
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE 88
Oldsmobile 88 Royal 1992 intermittent check engine light (code 41). Engine performance never changes. No set time or condition when it occurs or goes out or comes back on or goes out again. Checked Cam Sensor connertor and wiring to ECM. Replacer ECM with a spare ECM. No change.
Intermittent issues can be a pain to track. You have to test when the problem is ongoing. Because the crank and cam sensors share ref voltage and ground, I'd have to check the crank sensor also.

If you live in a state that doesn't do vehicle inspections and no driveability issues? My state hasn't done vehicle inspections in years.
ROBERTC
JDL TY for your help

UP-DATE 28 Sept 2011
ECM and Crank Sensor were replaced Mar 2001.
Replaced Cam Sensor and Check Engine Light is constant now. Removed Cam Sensor and rotated engine to inspect Magnet. No Magnet, only some what looks like some metal shavings and plastic holder. Guess there was enough magnet/shavings there to give intermittent reading.

While I have this all torn apart I am putting in new Timing Gears, rebuilding the Oil Pump and replace the Camshaft Interrupter. Now I know why a shop wanted $900 just to replace the Camshaft Interrupter.

It is recommended that I epoxy the Camshaft Interrupter to the cam gear.
Is this a good idea?
The magnet in the Camshaft Interrupter appears to be incased in plastic.
What could have caused the top of the Camshaft Interrupter to have worn away?
Should I place a drop of epoxy on the magnet to plastic also?

Will rotate engine after replacing timing gears to align Camshaft Interrupter with Cam Sensor opening in timing chain cover. There are no adjustments that I can find for the Camshaft Interrupter or Cam Sensor. Is there anything special I should look for before putting this all back together?
Looks to me like you got it all covered. Using the epoxy is fine, I've never used it on the magnet, itself?
TR63031
  • 1997 OLDSMOBILE 88
Computer problem
1997 Oldsmobile 88 6 cyl Automatic 97000 miles

Check engine light came on and flashes. Had Autozone check for codes and came back with P0300 error code.
Replaced spark plugs spark plug wire set. Car starts but still has Vibration issue. Checked coil pack by using timing light at each spark plug wire and found coil pack 1 &4 not firing. Replaced coil pack and problem still exists. Had all old codes cleared and light came on again with same error code P0300. Where would you suggest I check next?
Lost up ****creek without a paddle.
Could be caused by vacuum leak or bad fuel.
BITE MOJO
I personally found that if you simply remove the radiator cap and put it on any ford you will have an outstanding running automobile, after replacing radiator cap with factory ford radiator cap.

I hope this helps ;-)
-2
OLDMOBILE88LJB
  • 1983 OLDSMOBILE 88
I've had the radiator flushed, all fluids flushed, oil changed, carburator worked on and exhaust replaced. Check engine light "still" comes on. Car seems to drive okay.

Garage indicated since we replaced catalitic converter and exhaust should be okay. Drove it six miles and light came on. Stayed on perhaps five miles, backed off in slower speed zone, light went out. Increased speed back up and light came back on and stayed on.

Doesn't smell hot, but seems to want to slow down once stays on.
Have you had the computer scanned for trouble codes? Many parts stores will do it for free. Let me know what you find.

OLDMOBILE88LJB
I did have the computer code checked and nothing registered. But, after taking it back to the shop for the third time after the light decided to "stay" on long enough, it registered as a module to register if the temp was hot or not. Since I had that replaced it has been fine.

Thanks for the reply.
JILLIANCS
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE 88
Enter your question.1992 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Stall, bogging. I pulled up to a stop sign and my car shut down. When I tried to restart it a couple times, it would try but wouldn't turn over. Then I tried turning it over while gunning the gas and it would turn on, then shut right back off. I did that a couple times then while it was off, put it in neutral and pushed the gas, when it turned on I threw it in to drive and kept moving. I thought maybe I got bad gas so I put some iso-heet in about 1/2 a tank of gas. It didn't help. About ten minutes later, it felt like the car lost almost all of it's power, it wouldn't accelerate well, the check engine light came on and the speedometer stopped working. A couple blocks later the car went back to driving normal, the spedometer worked again and the check engine light went off. It did this again about 2 miles after it did it the first time then drove fine again. I just has an oil change and transmission flush last week. Any idea what could be going on? Thank you!
MMPRINCE4000
I would remove the ingition module and have it tested, this is free at most autoparts stores.