I NEED TO CONFIRM, THE BELT THAT DRIVES THE AC COMPRESSOR

• Slomom
  • 1994 MERCURY VILLAGER

On a 1994 Mercury villager can be taken off and doesn't affect anything else.

AC compressor failed, don't need ac just want to take off the belt and disconnect electric to compressor so it won't make noise. Does the belt drive anything else? My manual seems to point to "no".

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

• ImpalaSS

I am not sure what engine size you have - but according to the 3.0L engine there is just a belt for the AC compressor. The best way to verify is to look at the compressor belt and follow it route. I have also attached the pic of the 3.0L for you.

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 11:28 PM
  • Slomom

Thank you, yes it's a 3.0L and that looks like the layout.I think I should be able to just cut the belt off and be done with the noise from the dead ac compressor?

Saturday, July 7th, 2012 AT 11:36 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Yes just verify it isn't driving anything else. I suppose you are not interested in getting the AC fixed then?

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 12:39 AM
  • Slomom

No with 200,000 miles, 2 leaky freeze plugs and a few other things I just want to get through another couple of months. It only has a value of about $500 so if the water pump goes it's going to the salvage yard. Thank so much for your help!

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
  • Slomom

Maybe I should loosen the tensioner and see how it goes after just pulling it off to the side instead of cutting it?

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:26 AM
  • ImpalaSS

Yes - it is probably better that way than to just cut it. Well, sounds like it has been a good vehicle though.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 1:51 AM