WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE WHEN THE AC COMPRESSOR GOES OUT WHILE DRIVING?

1994 Mercury Villager

slomom

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:20 PM

I heard a grinding sound, the ac went war, small amount of smoke coming from the main belt area. Water pump? No leaks or overheating. Grinding loud 2-3 times a day, grinding soft all the time after 48 hours.

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:27 PM

Can you only hear the grinding with the ac on or all the time while the engine is running?

slomom

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:39 PM

Loud grinding comes and goes when engine is on, soft grinding all the time with no AC on since Thursday. Seems to be near main belt area, wondering if maybe water pump but no overheat or leaks yet.

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:47 PM

The water pump can still make noise even though there is no leak or overheating. You will have to get a long screwdriver to listen to where the noise is coming from.

slomom

July, 7, 2012 AT 6:13 PM

If it was the water pump, would it grind all the time with occasional loud grinding? My brother said his AC compressor clutch froze and locked up with grinding and sparks. My repair manual is not very clear on the location of the water pump, is it behind the big item holding the front of the belt?

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 9:03 PM

The water pump is in the center of the engine running off the inner belt. It should grind constantly pop the belt loose and see if the pulley is loose.

slomom

July, 7, 2012 AT 9:17 PM

Ok, I'll do that.I did the log screwdriver test first at the AC compressor and it is very loud and I can feel it through the tool. Can I disconnect one or both of the electrical connections on top of it to see if that helps?

saturntech9

July, 8, 2012 AT 4:14 PM

The ac compressor sound only have on connector. Does the nosie change when turning the ac on?

slomom

July, 8, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

I disconnected the 2 elec connections on the compressor then I cut the belt off. No more noise. No ac, but that's ok for for a very old minivan. Thanks for your help!

saturntech9

July, 8, 2012 AT 4:51 PM

Your welcome thats what were here for. Most of the ac compressors I have seen only have one if the noise is gone and your ok without ac then its a win win.

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro