BELT KEEPS BREAKING

1994 Mazda MX3

nev_summer69

December, 1, 2011 AT 6:29 AM

Ive replaced the alternator belt 3 times now the 1st and 2nd time it was fine for the 1st day then it starts squealing then smells like burnt rubber then I tighten it and the sound goes a way then about a day later it breaks the is no a.C the alternator spins free and is good not sure if its the pully or the bearing that the pullys on? The pully fine and spin freely but theres a little play but not much is this the water pump replacment of just the pully that needs to be replaced?

Changing Drivebelt

Need Infomation. .

1 ANSWER

rivermikerat

December, 1, 2011 AT 6:40 AM

It sounds like one of the pulleys is frozen and not turning. Or there may be a serious misalignment of the pulleys.

nev_summer69

December, 1, 2011 AT 6:45 AM

All the pullys spin freely

nev_summer69

December, 1, 2011 AT 6:52 AM

Every things fine till I drive it after I drive it it squeals and then I smell that burnt rubber smell I tighten it then its fine for a few days then breaks then belt looks mangled and theres rubber shaving every where

rivermikerat

December, 1, 2011 AT 6:56 AM

That tells me that something isn't turning freely. Squealing is usually due to a loose belt. The burning belt is usually due to either too much tension or a pulley that is either misaligned or not turning.

nev_summer69

December, 1, 2011 AT 7:02 AM

Is there a bearing in the middle pully theres a bit of play on it and it makes a funny noise when it spins about 3times around

nev_summer69

December, 1, 2011 AT 7:14 AM

Its the water pump pulley the pulleys fine im going to replace the waterpump ill keep you informed

rivermikerat

December, 1, 2011 AT 7:46 AM

Ok. Looking forward to it.

nev_summer69

December, 13, 2011 AT 5:11 PM

It was the bearing on the water pump spent of 100.00 bucks in belts to figure that out

rivermikerat

December, 13, 2011 AT 7:27 PM

Word to the wise: Check all pulleys for free spinning and bearing play when replacing belts. Lesson learned, hopefully. Happy Holidays.

nev_summer69

December, 13, 2011 AT 10:56 PM

It did spin freely but had a rubbing sound after the 3rd or 4th spin around

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement