HOW DO YOU GET THE FAN OFF TO REPLACE WATER PUMP?

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

bruce77trj

July, 14, 2012 AT 7:24 PM

I'm trying to replace the water pump on my jeep, I have the 6 cylinder 4.0. I have the shroud off, belt, power steering bracket. I've been told there is a drive nut between the fan and pulley but my jeep does not have this drive nut. I have removed the 4 nuts that the fan assembly attaches to pulley and the 4 bolts that attach the fan blade to the fan clutch. I still can't get the fan to come off. Is there something else I'm missing, I used a rubber mallet to try to pound the fan off and that hasn't worked. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

July, 14, 2012 AT 7:48 PM

There is a special long wrench required to attach to the nut, secure the pulley and turn counterclockwise. This is usually done first before removing anything.

July, 15, 2012 AT 1:05 AM

THIS CAN USUALLY BE RENTED AT A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE

THIS IS WHAT A SET SORTA LOOKS LIKE...THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fan-Clutch-Service-Kit-KD-Tools_22981282-P_N4420D_T%7CGRP2107_____

USUALLY YOU "PURCHASE" THE LOANER SET---YOUR $$$ IS REFUNDED WHEN YOU RETURN THE "COMPLETE" SET WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH IT.

Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500