REAR AXLE SEAL

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

stevenhauge

May, 13, 2012 AT 2:49 PM

I took my rear passenger side wheel off to replace the drum brake and found it covered in grease. My neighbor said my axle seal is toast. I've look online and it seems like a possible DIY job. What's not clear is which axle type it is. The car is a jeep grand cherokee laredo, inline 6, 4 liter. Do you know if I need to open the differential case and find a c-clip, or is this the type that will just come out after removing the 4 nuts that hold it in place?

hmac300

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

This has the c-clip type axle so you will need to drain it and remove the clip. Still fairly easy job.

stevenhauge

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

OK. What am I draining and how do I drain it? What is the replacement fluid? Thought there was just grease involved.

stevenhauge

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:33 PM

And lastly, is this the easy outer seal I'm replacing, or is this the seal that requires removal and replacement of the bearings?

hmac300

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:36 PM

Removal

1. Raise and support vehicle. Remove rear wheel(s). Remove brake drum. Clean axle housing cover. Loosen cover bolts and drain oil. Remove cover.
2. Remove differential pinion shaft lock screw or spring clips. Remove pinion shaft from differential. Push axle in. Remove "C" clip from axle at pinion gear. Remove axle from tube. Remove axle shaft seal and bearing
from axle tube.

Installation

1. Grease bearing and install in axle tube. Apply wheel bearing grease to axle shaft seal. Install seal in axle tube. Install axle shaft.
2. Install axle "C" clip. Pull axle out to seat "C" clip. Install pinion shaft. Install lock screw, and tighten to specification. Install pinion shaft spring clips (if equipped). Apply RTV to axle housing cover. Tighten cover
bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS table. Fill with gear oil.

NOTE: On vehicles with Trac Lok (limited slip) differentials, slowly drive vehicle in 10 12 "figure 8" patterns to distribute lubricant to clutch and bearing assembly.

Rear 4.75PTS. ( 2.2L )
API GL 5, SAE 75W 90 Gear Oil
For trailer towing applications use a SAE 75W 140 Synthetic Gear Lubricant in rear axle. Models equipped with TRAC LOK require an Additive.
Engine Coolant

hmac300

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:37 PM

Instructions sent

hmac300

May, 13, 2012 AT 3:39 PM

Heres a pic.

May, 13, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

HERE'S SOME ADDITIONAL STUFF THAT COULD HELP YOU WITH THIS, AND MORE IN THE FUTURE

ALTHOUGH I LIKE PAPER MANUALS THE BESTUS, 'CAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS ONLINE AND NEVER REQUIRE EXPENSIVE INK TO HAVE THEM OUT THERE, IN THE WORK AREA

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD