FROM HELL!!!!

1994 Jeep Cherokee

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 3:39 AM

Hey guys thank u for your response, but it was not the theft system. After reading ur commet I tried it and still got nothing, so I started moving the distributor around and got it to run but not good at a idle it runs good at 1000 to 1500rpm.I know the distributor is controled by sensors but could I possibly have it in the wrong place?With the timing set were should the rotor be pointing when the timing marks are right?And the distributor has a pick-up coil in it could that be the problem? Note that it starts rough, runs smooth at 1000 to 1500rpm and slowly dies once u let off the gas.I already did a fuel pressure test and its running at 42 to 45 psi. Plsssss help, jeremy

March, 26, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

Ok, with the number 1 cylinder at top dead center, the rotor should be pointing at number 1 in the cap. If you had to move the distributor to make it run, you may have a bad timing chain. Have it checked to confirm.

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:04 AM

Thanks for ur response!But the timing chain is new and has very little play in chain. It wont start when the distributor is on the num 1 plug, it only starts when its at or around num 4.I have the timing marks at 6 and 12

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:07 AM

Did you do a compression test? It will verify that you have the chain set right.

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:19 AM

Hey roy! Ya I did a compression test just to make sure and its at the tdc, and it is but the distributor was not pointing at num 1 so I moved it to num 1 and didnt get any thing. Note when I got this jeep the motor was rebuildt and the people who did it did not mark the distributor upon removel, the distributor body has a 1 position setting but I know the rotor has a differnt spot which should be num 1 spark but it wont run in that spot, could the pick-up be bad?

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

You could be on valve over lap or 180 degrees off. Rotate the motor one more revolution and re check.

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:43 AM

Hey roy! Ok that could be the problem, I have not tried that! But is it possible I have it right but the pick up coil isnt working or would that trigger the check engine lite?

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 4:53 AM

Ok so what ur sayin is that the crank moves 2 revolutions and the cam only does 1 revolution, which would put the valve timing off 180?

March, 26, 2012 AT 5:07 AM

Thats correct, and the pick up will not trigger a code in obd 1 systems.

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 5:18 AM

Ok I do not have a check engine lite on so it is possible it could be the coil pick-up? Thanks u roy for ur help it defiantly was a big help! Any other possible suggestion before I go?

jeremy76

March, 26, 2012 AT 5:38 AM

Is there a way to test the pick-up coil?

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500