CAN A BAD CATALYTIC CONVERTER CAUSE MY CAR TO OVERHEAT?

• Sandee Won
  • 1994 INFINITI Q45

My Q45 is overheating after driving about twenty minutes at high speed. On hot days over 95 degrees. In phoenix, that is every day. I cleaned and flushed the cooling system, changed the thermostat, cleaned the MAF sensor, changed hoses, turned on the heater or AC, but nothing has made any difference. I also notice a loss of power when it is hot, and some engine farts too, so now I think my CAT my be the problem. How can I check the CAT on the vehicle?

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

• Saturntech9

To check the cat you would go to a exhaust shop and have a back pressure test done. Unless you wanted to buy a gauge to check it yourself but the gauges are about 50-60.

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 2:22 AM
  • Saturntech9

Also a plugged cat can cause the engine to overheat but so can a inop radiator fan etc.

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 2:23 AM
  • KHLow2008

Since the problem only occurs at high speed, that is an indication of inefficient cooling. Have the radiator checked, it most likely is partially clogged.

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 6:30 AM