COIL OR SPARK PLUG WIRE(S)?

• ndowens
  • 1994 Hyundai Scoupe
  • manual

I have a 1994 Hyundai Scoupe, non-turbo 4-cyl. My car started stalling one day while waiting for road construction workers let us go through. After on the way back from work to home, it seemed to do a little better, until the car got warm. Tonight, my dad and I looked under the hood in the dark, and I was looking at the coil and thought I seen a little bit of a blinking "light" and my dad seen it too and I looked at it again, then he noticed the spark plug wire(s) sparking blue, though I don't know if it is just one or all 4 wires. What do I need to check or fix?

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 7:10 AM

• mhpautos

The coil and leads are leaking voltage, replace them all.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 10:15 AM
  • ndowens

I know most of the sparks were going through the spark plug wire(s) to the spark plug, looked like a consistant flow of blue sparks as well if this helps anymore.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 6:49 PM
  • mhpautos

Any external shorting is not acceptable, replace the coil and leads.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:36 PM
  • ndowens

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I am not a car kind of person. I am more of a technology person. So by leads you mean the spark plug wires?

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:41 PM
  • mhpautos

Yes, leads refer to High tension leads or spark plug wires, High tension leads is the correct term.

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:46 PM
  • ndowens

Thank you :)

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 9:47 PM
  • ndowens

Hmm also to note, it idles rough when cold, and today and last night while it was still cold it stalled. Tonight I didn't see blue sparks, I just seen tiny orange/red sparks going from one plug to the other. Most of the time I seen it around the 3rd cyl, sometimes at the 2nd, and 4th. All were the tiny sparks, though I could see the sparks sometimes in the middle of the wire.

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 2:30 AM
  • mhpautos

Same problem, change the leads, this will fix it.

Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 5:36 AM
  • ndowens

I replaced the plug wires and coil wire with Napa's Beldon Max Wires and it still stalls. Though I havent got the chance to look to see if there is a voltage leak or not, havent had time to day. What else should I look at if I can't see any voltage leaks?

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 7:53 AM
  • mhpautos

Clean the throttle body and the IAC check that the base idle is ok and that there are no vacuum leaks.

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 8:48 AM