DO I HAVE A FUEL PROBLEM OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?

1994 Ford Ranger

udog

September, 17, 2012 AT 2:52 PM

I have a 1994 Ranger 3.0L 6cyl. That cuts out severely at an idle or when you give it gas at 70-75mph. I've changed the fuel pump. No change. The filter is still fairly clean and free-flowing. Any suggestions where to look? Can the fuel pump relay wear out gradually or does it just quit altogether?

September, 17, 2012 AT 4:09 PM

Are you able to restart easily when it cuts off?

Relays don't fail gradually. It can be intermittent.

udog

September, 17, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

Thank you for your rapid response! I greatly appreciate it!

It never dies altogether. It just acts like it's going to die but quickly catches and resumes. It does this repeatedly.

Also, it seems to start the symptoms as the truck gets warmer. It's fine when running a little cold.

It is never difficult to start, so far.

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:04 PM

That should not be a major problem. Seems the idling speed is too low and cleaning the throttle body and IAC should solve the problem.

udog

September, 17, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

Thank you, KH! I'm trying to deal with this while working so it may be tomorrow before I can let you know how it came out. I was thinking, though, how long it's been since that throttle body was cleaned and I'm sure you're right.

Thanks again and I'll let you know.

September, 18, 2012 AT 7:51 AM

You're welcome.

Keep us posted.

udog

September, 21, 2012 AT 12:33 PM

That did it, KH!

Cleaning the throttle body and IAC made such a positive difference that I decided to clean the MAF sensor, as well, and give it cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Problem solved. I had almost forgotten how well this truck can run.

Thanks again, KH! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

September, 21, 2012 AT 2:20 PM

Glad to know you have the problem fixed.

Have a great weekend.

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right