How do you replace the gasket for the timing chain cover on a '94 Explorer?
have the same problem?
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 9:30 PM
TIMING CHAIN COVER
1. Remove oil pan. Drain cooling system. Remove upper and lower radiator hoses. Remove radiator. Remove coolant hoses from water pump. Remove A/C compressor and power steering bracket (if equipped).
2. Remove alternator and drive belt(s). Using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder (T84T-6312-C) and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench (T84T-6312-D), remove fan and clutch assembly. See Fig. 9.
CAUTION:Fan clutch nut has left-hand threads. Remove nut by turning
clockwise as viewed from front of engine.
3. If equipped with A/C, remove alternator and bracket. Remove water pump pulley. Remove water pump attaching bolts, and remove pump. Remove gasket. Using Crankshaft Damper Remover (T74P-6316-A), remove crankshaft damper.
4. Remove crankshaft position sensor. Remove timing chain cover bolts (note bolt location for installation reference). Remove cover and gasket.
1. Clean timing chain cover mating surfaces. Apply sealing compound to gasket surfaces. Place NEW timing chain cover gasket into position. Replace crankshaft seal. Position timing chain cover on engine. Insert bolts in their original location.
2. Tighten bolts to specification. Apply silicone sealer to crankshaft keyway. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Install oil pan. Fill or top off all fluids. Fill and bleed air from cooling system.