OK SO HERES THE PROBLEM WHEN ITS REALLY COLD OUT...

1994 Chevrolet Cavalier

jeffreygagnon

December, 23, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

Ok so heres the problem when its really cold out the car dies I mean just flat out dies won't start or turnover or anything have to either get jumped or put a battery booster to get it to start. I've replaced the battery and the positive cable end fixed the problem temporarily but now its doing it again have had the starter and alternator tested they said it was good and right now i'm just stumped as to why it would be doing this?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

December, 23, 2012 AT 5:26 AM

Based on what you described, I think you have a ground problem. Make sure the ground cable between the battery and the engine is clean and tight.

jeffreygagnon

December, 23, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

I was just under the hood of the car today and checked the ground connection and it was good but I am now wondering if I should change the negative battery end as well?

Jacobandnickolas

December, 23, 2012 AT 11:44 PM

Is it in bad condition?

jeffreygagnon

December, 24, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

Well when I changed the positive end it wasn't in bad condition just wasn't getting a really good connection so I'm thinking maybe that but I also had my dad look at it he thinks there might be something drawing power from it over night

Jacobandnickolas

December, 24, 2012 AT 1:41 AM

Does the battery die when the car sits?

jeffreygagnon

December, 24, 2012 AT 3:36 AM

Yeah but only overnight when i'm at work during the day I start it on every break and its fine but when it sits over night in the cold it doesn't start the next morning unless I put a booster to it

jeffreygagnon

December, 24, 2012 AT 4:09 AM

Ok so 2 more things to add to this I read about a couple of troubleshooting tests online one to test the battery cables which for positive should read less then 0.5 volts and negative to read less then 0.3 with a mutimeter means they are good which they read 0 for both and then I also read online that if you start your car turn the headlights on and then turn it off and start it again with the headlights still on that if they dim when starting could mean a bad solenoid which is part of the starter so i'm wondering if maybe the starter is in fact bad?

jeffreygagnon

December, 24, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

Ok so I have tested the starter it comes back as good still unsure about the solenoid in the starter but a little interesting note to add when I tested the voltage between the positive terminal and and the cable end it reads 13 almost 14 volts but when I switch it and test between the negative terminal and cable it reads 0

Jacobandnickolas

December, 24, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

IT sounds like you have an electrical draw.