There is no b terminal

SMEDLY
  • 1994 CHEVROLET BERETTA

What code reader can I use for a 94 gm that uses only the a and m pins on the data link. There is no b terminal. Not all obd 1 readers work on 94 or 95 gm

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

SMEDLY

A and m pins only on data link

SATURNTECH9

So do you have a 12 pin or 16 pin connector?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 5:47 PM
SMEDLY

12 pin but it only has wires to a and m pins, does not use a and b

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 5:58 PM
CADIEMAN

U can buy key tools that plug in. Then you read the flashing light on the dash for codes. Recheck the connector because a and b are the right wires. Just buy a test key and plug it in. Ty for using 2carpros

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:26 PM
SATURNTECH9

In your case you cant flash the codes. What code reader do you have?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:28 PM
SATURNTECH9

Read above there is no b terminal so you cant flash the codes it needs a scan tool.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:32 PM
SMEDLY

I have the equis 3120 that does not work in this case. I am told I need a powered reader

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:37 PM
SMEDLY

Do I have the only 94 chev with this type of data connection?
What type scan tool do I need?

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

Thats crazy it didnt come with a cig lighter adapter?Or have a battery inside the scanner?All the obd1 cars I know of dont power the scan tool off the connector. Iam not familar with the equis scanner I have the actron scanner with the obd1 domestic connectors it came with a cig lighter adapter to power it plus it has a 9V inside of it.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:52 PM
SATURNTECH9

They had the newer 12 pin connectors with and without that pin. The ones with that pin you could use a jumper and flash the codes out. Without that pin you have to use a scan tool to read codes.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 6:56 PM
SMEDLY

I know. I am asking what scan tool works in this applcation?
Brand, manufacturer, model, ect.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:03 PM
SATURNTECH9

I was trying to ask you some questions but you never answered them?About your scan tool?There should be a cig adapter available for the scanner so you can use it for obd1 applications I would try and see if your scanner works first before investing in a new scan tool. If I had a older GM car like yours I would get a used pro link scanner from ebay with the correct software thats what the dealers were using before the tech2 scanner replaced it.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:11 PM
SMEDLY

The one I have has batteries but will not link to system

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:27 PM
SMEDLY

The actron scanner you have is probably the one I need. What model is it? Actron claims the 9150 is what I need but it is an old model.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:37 PM
SATURNTECH9

So the scan tool powers up it just wont link to your car?I was reading some reviews on amazon about that scanner and they said it wouldnt work on some of there 1994-1995 GM cars. It says it works on the more popular obd1 cars doesnt mean all of them. GM had some crazy stuff in 1994-1995 they had the od1 connectors 12 pin without the B terminal and they also had the ob2 style on those cars with the 16 pin style a hybrid connector but it was a obd1 car because odb2 didnt come along till 19996. The dyi scanners soometimes have issues working on these cars. Your best bet would be to find a tech1 scanner or a pro link scanner on ebay with the correct software those are the ones the gm dealers used to use for those cars when they were new. Otherwise you will have to do a lot of research and try to find a dyi scanner that might work.

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:42 PM
SMEDLY

Tech 1 scanner was mentioned by another party

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:50 PM
SATURNTECH9

Here is the link to the scanner i have please do a lot of research read reviews talk to the company to make sure it will work.If you get it from amazon you can probably return it if it doesnt work but make sure before you buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9190-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B000KGCUMA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 7:53 PM
SMEDLY

Im getting a code 82 from my scanner on my 94 chevy beretta but I had the ignition module tested ok. Is the powertrain control module causing the 3 x signal failure? Or what?

Saturday, January 21st, 2012 AT 9:02 PM
SATURNTECH9

What size engine do you have?

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 12:12 AM
SMEDLY

Its a 3.1 and I was able to start it until I replaced the crank possition sensor but now it is no start condition even after putting the old one back in. Do I need to flash the ecm?

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 5:06 AM