WHY WONT MY ENGINE STAY RUNNING

1994 Buick Regal

Azurya

November, 2, 2011 AT 11:25 PM

It starts, the engine turns over, but dies within 1 to 2 seconds. When the car first wouldnt start, we replaced the spark plugs, because we saw sparks when cranking the engine. We replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel filter because after we replaced the plugs, it didn't seem like we had any fuel going to the engine. I dont know if it has anything to do with it, but it is minus 5ish on an average day, and we added gas line antifreeze to the tank. We've had to charge the battery a few times in the process. Also, the battery reads 12-14 volts on the charger, but 8-10 on the dash. Our current theories are the fuel pump, battery, or alternator. As well, bout 3 to 4 days before this started, we gave someone a jump with our car. Could that have caused the problem?

hmac300

November, 2, 2011 AT 11:57 PM

Check the fuel pressure it shold be 41-47 psi if it's below the minimum than that may be your problem.

Azurya

November, 3, 2011 AT 12:18 AM

How would I do that?

hmac300

November, 3, 2011 AT 12:20 AM

You need to put a guage on the fuel rail, it's best you take it to a pro so you don't spend money trying to guess your way tryingto fix it. You can try the diy section on the site here they probably show it bu t you need the gauge and hook up.

Azurya

November, 3, 2011 AT 12:30 AM

If it is the fuel pressure, does that mean the fuel pump is dead?

hmac300

November, 3, 2011 AT 12:33 AM

Yup

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang