No, it does not have to be removed.
A/C EVAPORATOR AND EXPANSION VALVE, REMOVING AND INSTALLING
1. Following the manufacturer's instructions, connect an approved refrigerant recovery/recycling/recharging unit to the A/C system and discharge system.
WARNING: Do not discharge/charge the A/C system without proper equipment and training, damage to the vehicle and personal injury may result Read warnings and cautions given under A/C system, warnings and cautions.
2. Disconnect negative (-) battery terminal.
3. On cars with coolant expansion tank in rear of engine compartment, remove hose from overflow tank and disconnect electrical connector from level sensor in tank. Unbolt expansion tank and move to one side.
4. Unclip wire harness protective cover on rear bulkhead. Cut wire ties as necessary.
5. Remove bulkhead splash shield by removing six retaining screws (arrows ).
6. Working in cowl area, remove mounting nut and screws (arrows ) at refrigerant line fitting.
NOTE: Nut on refrigerant fitting may be fastened with loctite. Heating with a hot air blower may be necessary to loosen.
7. Remove center console and glove box. See: Body and Frame Interior Moulding / Trim Console Service and Repair
8. Remove screws (arrows ) retaining ventilation duct and remove duct.
9. Cut wire ties holding wire harness to right side of heater housing and disconnect and move wiring to gain access to evaporator cover.
10. On cars with IHKR I and IHKA, unclip air distribution motor from right side of heater housing. See Air distribution motors, replacing.
11. Remove evaporator cover mounting screws (arrows ) and remove cover.
12. Remove screw (arrow ) from expansion valve and separate refrigerant line fitting from expansion valve. Discard 0-rings.
13. Remove screws (A ) from top of expansion valve and remove expansion valve.
14. Slide evaporator out of unit housing.
15. Installation is reverse of removal. Replace 0-rings at pressure fittings.
CAUTION: Do not re-use 0-rings when reconnecting refrigerant lines. Always replace 0-rings.
16. Before recharging, evacuate the system for at least 30 min. Recharge system following the equipment manufacturer's instructions.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011 AT 11:19 AM