ELECTRICAL

• jokersma
  • 1994 Acura Vigor
  • automatic
  • 20,000,000 miles

My car started this morning, drove it down the road about a 1/4 mile and all the gages dropped to 0 and the car died. I tried starting it again and although it will turn over and act like it is going to run, it dies. I just replaced the fuel filter and plugs and wires not to long ago. What could cause all the electrical to shut down

Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 4:54 PM

• saturntech9

So have you checked for spark what the fuel pressure is and injector pulse?

Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:06 PM
  • jokersma

Have not checked for spark, did not cross my mind since I replaced wires and plugs not to long ago, and how do I check the the fuel pressure and injector pulse (do not know what that is)

Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:12 PM
  • jokersma

I did forget to mention, this happened to me the other day, the car not starting and gages going dead, and it sat for a couple of days until the fuel filter was replaced then started right up - almost like it had to cool off first

Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:16 PM
  • saturntech9

Fuel pressure is checked with a fuel pressure gauge you can rent them at auto zone not sure if it will come with the correct adapter for your car you will have to check into that.I posted how to check fuel pressure. To check the injector pulse which is the output signal from the computer to open and close the injectors. You would get whats called a noid light and unplug each injector plug the noid light into each injector harness one at a time then crank the engine over looking for the light to flash.

Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 5:32 PM
  • jokersma

I know this has been a while but just to let you know - my ignition switch went out - that was causing everything to shut down

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 5:21 PM
  • saturntech9

Thanks for the update it just might help another user
What tipped you off it was the switch?

Thursday, December 6th, 2012 AT 5:35 PM