WHEN THE ENGINE RPM REACHES AROUND 3000 RPM, THE ENGINE HESITATES

1994 Acura Integra

2CarPros-Archives

October, 8, 2010 AT 1:15 AM

1994 Acura Integra mileage: 130,000. My car has no aftermarket parts on it. Recently I ran into a problem with it. When the engine rpm reaches around 3000 rpm, the engine hesitates. Then the check engine light comes on and then engine will not rev past 3000 rpm. It sounds like there is a rev limiter kicking in. This first happened on the freeway a day ago. When this happened I was forced to pull over. The engine will run in this condition below 3000 rpm with no abnormal noise or roughness. When this happened to my car, I was in the middle of nowhere. So, I was forced to drive a couple miles to a gas station. I kept below 3000 rpm. When I arrived at the gas station, I opened the hood and saw the exhaust manifold to the cat glowing orange. I thought that perhaps the cat was plugged. But unfortunately after trying several things to find the problem today, I was not able to do so. I also have a code 4, which is crank angle sensor. I have checked the crank sensor the way that All Data says to and it checked out ok. Perhaps you can help me out. This doesn't make sense to me.

2CarPros-Archives

October, 8, 2010 AT 1:17 AM

The problem you described would indicate the engine is running too rich. Check the fuel pressure regulator and also the fuel injectors to see that they are not leaking. Also, check for a plugged exhaust system especially the catalytic converter and the air supply controls for the converter.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars