NEW BRAKE LINES. PROBLEM WITH BRAND NEW CALIPER GRABBING

• blackboy454
  • 1993 Saturn SL2
  • manual

Slammed on the brakes to avoid a deer, brake pedal went down to the floor and I ruptured a rear brake line. Replaced the entire line from the resevor to both rear calipers, checked for leaks over 4 times. And the passenger side which has a brand new caliper does not grab. And the pedal still goes down abnormally far for a brand new brake system. Bled all the lines 3 times, even bled the master. Any ideas?

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 4:29 AM

• carolinacarconnection
  • 68 posts

Did you start bleading at the longest line with is right rear and then left rear then right front and fished up with the left front?

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 4:42 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one the problem your having is a low pedal?It wont pump up if you pump it a few times?Are your rear brakes adjusted up correctly?You can actually loose the brake pedal height and braking all together from the rear brakes being too far out of adjustment on those cars.

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 5:51 AM
  • saturntech9

You have abs on that car I didnt see it had four wheel disc when I posted my answer. If you do your supposed to run the the abs pistons up in the home position before starting to bleed the brakes. Then bleed the abs modulator on the master cylinder. Then rr Lr rf and Lf calipers.

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 5:58 AM
  • blackboy454

Being as I am a car novice, and I am having help with the car. What is the abs piston and what is the home position?

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 7:29 PM
  • saturntech9

Do you see you modulator attached to the master cylinder?Now do you see the black plastic cover on the bottom of it?Under that cover are the pistons that keeps the wheels from locking Also long time no talk by the way.

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 7:51 PM
  • blackboy454

Yes long time no talk. Just goes to show u car was running good after all that work that was done to it. Til now. I see the black box under where the steel lines connect to the master, but I am unable to get to the box at present time. I only took a quick look and didnt have a lot of time to attempt to get at it. Working 2 jobs and full time school means very limited tinker time. Im currently getting around on a motorcycle but alas a motorcycle doesnt provide much protection at all from the rain.

Monday, August 13th, 2012 AT 11:34 PM
  • saturntech9

I used to only have a motor cycle and had to ride rain or shine so I know what thats like. There is nothing to get at I will get you some more info later.

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 3:28 AM
  • blackboy454

I feel at a loss and a little too much like a novice with how many questions I feel compelled to ask. But hopefully the end result will be my car back on the road. Thanks louie.

Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 AT 4:08 PM
  • saturntech9

More info to come.

Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 AT 11:52 PM
  • saturntech9

I just posted the two wires for the rear motor/piston so you can unplug the motor pack and jump power and ground to those two wires to run the piston up then down when done bleeding. Heres the problem I dont know which way to run the power for each position.I have always just used the tech1 because I had one at the dealers I worked.

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 AT 12:02 AM