MY TIMINGBELT BROKE WHILE DRIVING REPLACED IT ,SET ALL TIMING MARKS/TDC.STILL WONT TURNOVER.

1993 Nissan Pathfinder

ron1374

May, 22, 2012 AT 4:24 PM

I was driving to work and my engine just died out.I thought I ran out of gas, I fueled up - turned on the key and noticed it was a timing belt problem just by hearing how it crank.I opened the front cam cover, the belt was striped up.I tried putting a new timing belt aligned both cam timing marks/crank pulley time mark I also set no.1 piston to TDC but it still wont turnover.I followed my chilton repair book step by step and still cant start. Could it be a bent valve e.T.C?Ive done timing belt issues before but a nissan pathfinder 93 VG30 seems difficult. Any good advice?

saturntech9

May, 22, 2012 AT 5:29 PM

Do a compression test on the engine that will tell you how the valves are bent or not. Let me kwow what you find.

May, 22, 2012 AT 6:16 PM

You sure its on the compression stroke/TDC instead of exhaust stroke 180 out-double check

ron1374

May, 24, 2012 AT 3:49 PM

How to tell the if the #1 piston TDC is on compression or exhaust stroke?

saturntech9

May, 24, 2012 AT 5:26 PM

If your cam and crank timing marks are dead on then you know your timed correctly. If they are do a compression test and post the results.

saturntech9

May, 24, 2012 AT 5:29 PM

Because that engine can bend valves.

ron1374

May, 27, 2012 AT 2:50 PM

Timing marks matched up. It turned over but keeps dieing out.I think the distributor is off its mark, I cant seem to figure out the 15 degree mark or where to set the rotor.I removed the distributor a few times, advanced, & retard it. All it does is backfires- sometimes it stays running only when I gas it, but wont idle. What should I do?

May, 27, 2012 AT 9:29 PM

Remove the distributor set the timing to 0/TDC at crank pulley and then reinstall the distributor making sure the rotor is pointing to the no.1 cap tower and then retime the ignition

saturntech9

May, 28, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

Also make sure the the cams are lined up so you know the valves are closed when it reads number one top dead center.

cadieman

May, 28, 2012 AT 1:05 AM

Im with rasmatas on this one my thoughts exactly.

Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006