1993 NISSAN ALTIMA

• Boisemike
  • 1993 NISSAN ALTIMA
  • 150 MILES

I've retrieved codes from the ecm and it says knock sensor and vehicle speed sensor. This is a 1993 nissan altima and in the chiltons manual it doesn't tell me where to find or test these. Where are they/ How do I test them? Thanks Mike

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 12:07 AM

• Mhpautos

Knock sensors can be check you watching a timing mark and tapping the engine with a hammer on the block, the vibration should be picked up by the sensor and the timing mark should alter, I have no test at hand for a speed sensor, but if both are giving a code, I would do a code re set and see if they come up a second time, if so I would be replacing them. I will have to check a reference for both locations. Can I have the code for the speed sensor.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 12:16 AM
  • Boisemike

Code was 14 and 34. I'm inclined to believe the knock sensor is bad, I just don't know where it is, do you?

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 2:58 AM
  • Mhpautos

It will be on the block at the rear of the motor (fire wall side) in the middle and it will be round and bolted through the center, (normally)

mark (mhpautos)

+2
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:05 AM

Other Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS Test Questions