WHAT CAN CAUSE STALLING AT HIGH SPEEDS?

• byrde5
  • 1993 Mercury Villager

The van starts and idles fine and shifts fine while driving. At low speeds it will get up and go without a problem except until it gets around 40mph or higher. I can be accelerating or holding the gas steady anywhere from 40mph or higher and it will be fine then it starts stalling almost as if it's misfiring.

If I check the speedometer while holding the gas steady the needle starts to drop showing I'm losing power. If I push down on the gas the transmission kicks into overdrive to compensate but once I let off it will stall out again. Sometimes I can push on the gas and let off a few times for it to hold power until it stalls out again. If I drop below 40 though in areas that are 35mph speed limit, it runs perfectly fine. Also the check engine light does not come on while it stalls.

What areas should I be looking into first?

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

• rasmataz

Check the fuel pressure if its within specs with and w/o the fuel pressure regulator and also the transmission for slippage

Tuesday, June 12th, 2012 AT 9:46 PM
  • byrde5

How do I test it? I am a simple weekend DIYer : (

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 12:00 AM
  • rasmataz

Get a fuel pressure tester and hook it up on the fuel rail test port

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 8:32 PM