GUYS I NEED TO KNOW WHICH OIL IS THINNER 5W50 ...

1993 Mercedes Benz 300ce

alawieh

September, 14, 2012 AT 3:32 AM

Hi guys I need to know which oil is thinner 5w_50 or 10w_60?

Wiring Issue?

caradiodoc

September, 14, 2012 AT 3:41 AM

5W is thinner than 10W and 50 is thinner than 60.

alawieh

September, 14, 2012 AT 3:55 AM

Thanks a lot_you said 50 is thinner than 60 I mean by 50 or 60 is 5w50 and 10w60

caradiodoc

September, 14, 2012 AT 6:57 AM

Those are both "multi-viscosity" oils. It's been so long since I had to think about this that I've forgotten the physics, but it doesn't mean the oil changes its viscosity at different temperatures. (Viscosity is measured at a specific standardized temperature). It means it will act like a certain oil when it gets really cold. A straight-weight oil will get much thicker when it's cold. A multi-weight oil will thicken less as it gets colder. That helps it flow better when starting a cold engine. It will also thin less when the engine is hot. That helps it maintain its lubricating properties. To do you a better job than that at explaining it I'd have to dig out a textbook.

Both of those oils seem awfully high for newer engines. 10W-40 used to be the most common for summer use. Some manufacturers went to 10W-30 back in the '80s and '90s. The thinner oil pumped easier so the oil pump theoretically put less load on the engine. Many engines today call for 5W-20 or 5W-30. To me that seems like water but the thinking is the oil flows easier, the engine doesn't work as hard to pump it, and fuel mileage should improve. Hmm.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes