RELEASED THE 2ND COAST BRAKE PISTON BY MISTAKE

1993 Lexus SC 400

gryphn

April, 22, 2012 AT 10:45 AM

Hi
Got my transmission on the bench after installing a new valvebody solenoids and new accumulators.

Put it all together, today in a momentary lapse of concentration I released the snap ring and cover that hold in the 2nd coast brake piston and rod.

Is there anyway I can put this back in without opening the transmission up.

Can I just press the piston in with a press and install the snap ring, or am I forced to go in and release the brake band inside prior to putting the piston back in.

Many many thanks.

mhpautos

April, 22, 2012 AT 12:43 PM

SEE PICS FOR INFORMATION, I HOPE THIS IS OF HELP.

gryphn

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:04 PM

Thanks for the image, but this is the piston rod that pushes on the b2 coast brake band.

I removed the piston and piston rod from the outside of the trans. Can I just use a press to insert it against the band and clip the snap ring as above, or will I have to go in and release the band pin, insert the coast brake piston and then pin the band back into place

mhpautos

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:16 PM

Ok my error, see pic for details, trouble is that they shoe the assembly during a full re build and not in the position you find your self, you may have to contact a transmission specialist for more details, the pic mentioned in the text is the same as you posted.

gryphn

April, 22, 2012 AT 1:20 PM

May as well order new steels and clutches since I will be dismantling the transmission completely now.

Many thanks for your help.

rivermikerat

May, 3, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

Closing thread. Thank you for using 2carpros. Com

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter