ENGINE OVERHEAT

1993 Honda Civic

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:41 AM

Hi-

I have just replaced the radiator of my car. It's fine for the first few days. After about a week, when I get on the highway, the temperature seems still fine though sometimes the temperature may be a bit higher. But once I get off the highway, the engine temperature start to noticeably heat up and finally hit the red zone and won't go down.

What is the possible cause of it and what is the reasonable price range to repair it?

Thank you

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:25 AM

Does your radiator cooling fan work when it's hot?

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 9:26 AM

Is thermostat new?

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 10:28 AM

The radiator fan were working when I opened the hood but I am not sure if it was working in other time. The Thermostat is like 5 years old.

mhpautos

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:23 AM

Replace the thermostat and ensure that the fan is turning on, start here.

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:39 AM

Thank you for your answer.
What's the reasonable price range to fix it?
Also, could it be the cause of the blown head gasket as well?

Thanks!

djcl

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:39 AM

Why was the radiator replaced. Was it cracked, leaking @ the seam. Or running hot.

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:48 AM

I had to add coolant like every week. I took it to the repair shop, they said the radiator was leaking. So I replaced it with a new one.

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:50 AM

Also, they said the the bottom side of frame(the rubber or plastic part) of the radiator was broken.

djcl

April, 16, 2012 AT 12:02 PM

If after replacing the t stat and verifying fan operation if the problem persist I would have a block test done to rule out a head gasket problem.

CivicUser

April, 16, 2012 AT 12:03 PM

So what kind of cause do you think it might be for the engine overheating in this case?

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer