WHY IS MY CAR IDLING FUNNY?

• thanvas
  • 1993 Honda Accord

After doing the head gasket, my car is idling funny when I decelerate. The needle starts to go down to 1000rpm then it jumps up to 1200rpm then drops down again to 1000rpm then to slowly down to 800rpm. Also my check engine light is on, it wasn't on before. What would be causing this?

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 2:00 AM

• ASEMaster6371

First, need the code.

Check the coolant level as it directly effects the idle condition.

It could be a vacuum leak, idle air control and these had issues with egr valves not seating

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 2:05 AM
  • thanvas

Hi Roy,

I checked the code and it's 43 (fuel system). The car was running normal before I did the head, so I don't think something has gone out. If I have a vacuum leak would my idle rpm be higher than normal? My car's idle is at 800rpm, just like before the change of head gasket. Three days ago I had a problem with the car not having power even after I stepped on the pedal, but it seems like that problem has gone away. It's just idling abnormal and it also seems like the car is eating more gas than before. Besides these problems the car runs pretty nice. Also if I didn't have a problem with the EGV valve before what would cause it to have problems now?

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 4:04 AM
  • KHLow2008

Check the valve clearances. Incorrect adjustment can cause this.

Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 2:39 PM