BATTERY

1993 GMC Jimmy

whitewolf 03

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:39 PM

I have a 93 gmc jimmy im having problem with the battery staying charged put new battery in and a new allornator in

Battery Will Not Charge

Flashing Battery Indicator

Wrenchtech

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:47 PM

Is it dieing while it's being used or after it has been parked for a while.

whitewolf 03

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:51 PM

While it is running and then it will not start with out a jump

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:53 PM

I'd use a digital multimeter across the battery posts, everything off, note the reading. Start the vehicle take second reading across battery posts, the second reading should be higher than the first, if alternator is charging. If alternator isn't charging, the first thing I check is voltage at the L terminal for alternator.

Another possibility is a battery drain, with everything turned off. The first to check is for any lites left on, interior, under the hood, anywhere. Best time to check is in the dark. If that checks ok and the drain is on a fused circuit, take battery cable loose, use a testlite between cable and battery post, if the lite comes on bright, you have a drain. You pull/replace fuses one at a time. When you pull fuse on a faulty circuit, the lite goes out. Then you have to see what all is on that circuit. Go from there.

Wrenchtech

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

I don't suspect you have any kind of parasitic drain since your problems are occurring while the engine is running. There has to be some type of issue with the charging system.

February, 6, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

Have the battery and alternator load tested if both okay start tracking wires

whitewolf 03

February, 6, 2011 AT 10:04 PM

Thank you i'll check them

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Alternator testing done right