1993 TAURUS DRIVERS REAR WHEEL CYLINDER FRONT ...

1993 Ford Taurus

VMK

November, 2, 2012 AT 4:37 AM

1993 Taurus - drivers rear wheel cylinder - front piston is popping out of the cylinder housing!

This is my daughters car and I did the front and rear brakes about 15K ago with no problems until this morning. Luckily this happened in front of our home as she was dropping off the grandson.

I removed the drivers drum and found the self adjuster had fallen off and it was considerably damaged. Figured the self adjusted froze. With that said I replaced the rear brakes again, this time with both sides receiving new shoes, new hardware and new self adjusters. I also replaced the drivers rear wheel cylinder.

While test driving the car it happens again! So I remove the drum, purchase and install another new wheel cylinder and took the extra step of replacing the drivers drum. Yep. Did it again!

So I am at a loss - this is not my first rodeo with drum brakes but I am stumped as to how this could even happen given the clearances within the drum. Any ideas or advisements will be appreciated as I am going to have to reopen this can of worms tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

caradiodoc

November, 2, 2012 AT 6:10 AM

You don't have to keep on buying new wheel cylinders. Just put the spring and lip seal back in followed by the piston and dust boot, then gravity-bleed it again.

Check that the shoes aren't upside-down. Set the shoes inside the drum to be sure you have the right ones. There's 9", 10", and 11 1/2" drums and shoes. If you have the wrong diameter you should also have a low brake pedal.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy