MY CAR IS HARD TO START ENGINE LIGHT IS ON AND WILL NOT GO OFF

1993 Ford Probe

ritakizmit4

June, 3, 2012 AT 2:08 AM

My 1993 ford probe is hard to start the enginelight did go out but now it stay on when I am driveing it it willstop just like I turned off the switch then starts back upall so it will barely go up a hill its like it has no power it just started dieing out suddley the engine light used to go out but now stays on what should id where do I start help

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

caradiodoc

June, 3, 2012 AT 2:19 AM

Start by having the diagnostic fault code(s) read. Many auto parts stores will do that for you for free. Those codes will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis.

Check the fresh air tube between the throttle body and mass air flow sensor for crack or leaks. If any air sneaks in there that the mass air flow sensor doesn't know about, the Engine Computer won't command enough fuel to go with that air, and stalling can result.

ritakizmit4

June, 3, 2012 AT 2:46 AM

Thank you so much can you tell me how to do this again thank you

caradiodoc

June, 3, 2012 AT 2:59 AM

Do what again?

ritakizmit4

June, 3, 2012 AT 3:04 AM

Check the air the fresh air tube thanks

ritakizmit4

June, 3, 2012 AT 3:08 AM

Is this somethig that I can do myself or do I have to take the car to the shop auto zone told me thay only check 1996 and newer cars

caradiodoc

June, 3, 2012 AT 3:15 AM

Any mechanic can check for codes but they can be somewhat primitive on '95 and older models.

To check the fresh air tube, look at it visually for signs of dry-rotting, cracking, loose hose clamps, etc. As I recall, it's along the firewall on the passenger side, under the hood, at the rear of the engine. It should be black, about three inches in diameter. It will come out of the box where the air filter is in. One fellow found a small crack on the back of his where it had been rubbing up and down on the firewall when the engine rocked back and forth. The temporary fix was to wrap electrical tape around the tube to cover the leak.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test