BATTERY DRAIN

• jpeace
  • 1993 Eagle Summit
  • manual

In my 95 cav I have a bettery drain when the cars off. The radio clock stays on.I have limited it down to the multifunction alarm module. What all is ran off this module so that I know which circuit the drain is coming from

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 12:48 PM

• Wrenchtech

There is a procedure for finding a battery draw like that.

You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 1:35 PM
  • jpeace

I have already done that.I found that it is on the headlamp fuse and that feeds the multifunction alarm module.I just was wondering what all sources that module feeds

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 10:50 PM
  • Wrenchtech

I need the fuse number and location. If it's one of the larger fuses, then they feed smaller fuses and you will have to further isolate it to the smaller one.

Friday, May 6th, 2011 AT 10:52 PM
  • jpeace

It looks like b3. It is in the interior fuse block inside the car. Its in the third slot of the second row and is marked intlmp.I do know that the clock on the radio stays on if that makes a difference but I also seen that the radio runs to the multifunction alarm module too

Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 1:07 AM
  • Wrenchtech

It's marked Interior lamps. That is the most common cause of parasitic drains. There are timers in the circuit and lights behind closed doors. That is likely where your problem is.

Saturday, May 7th, 2011 AT 1:11 AM