CLUSTER LIGHTS

• Truist
  • 1993 CHRYSLER LE BARON

My dimmer switch does not function properly on my 93 lebaron convertible. I saw a question asked about this and it mentioned an interior cluster fuse. Where exactly is that located?

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 3:22 PM

• Caradiodoc

Elaborate on "not function properly". That doesn't mean much.

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 7:12 PM
  • Truist

The dimmer doesn't work but the interior light comes on at the top position. Could an interior cluster fuse be the problem and if so how do I check it.

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 12:13 PM
  • Caradiodoc

What's the symptom? Do the dash lights not turn on? Are they too bright and don't go dimmer? Does the radio display vary in brightness or is it full brightness all the time? Do the tail lights work? Have you recently installed an aftermarket radio? Do you have the digital display or the regular instrument cluster?

If the tail lights work but the back lighting lamps for the instrument cluster and various switches are not illuminated, check fuse # 8, a 5 amp. As I recall, the fuse box is under the steering column. If the fuse is good, suspect the Body Computer.

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 7:55 PM
  • Truist

Neither the instrument panel nor the temperature module backlights come on at all. The wiper delay doesn't work either. The tail lights do work.

Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 1:19 PM
  • Caradiodoc

Did you check fuse # 8?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Internet provider was down again yesterday for the entire day.

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 8:55 PM
  • Truist

Checked the fuse and it was ok. Where is the body computer located and how do I check it?

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 9:09 PM
  • Caradiodoc

Grab a test light or voltmeter and see if there's voltage on fuse 8.

Next, the Body Computer lives behind the right kick panel. I only have a '94 service manual but it should be the same. Let me know if something is different. Check for voltage on the brown wire to pin 8. It should have 12 volts all the time. Check for voltage on the orange / black wire, pin 10. That voltage should vary depending on where the dimmer is set. If both of those circuits are okay, check for voltage on the orange wire, pin 22. If no voltage shows up there, suspect the computer.

A fast way to verify all the rest of the circuitry is working is to jump pins 8 and 22 together. That will bypass the computer and the back lights should turn on full brightness.

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 10:01 PM
  • Truist

Also, the wiper works on Low and Hi but the delay doesn't work. Is that the same issue?

Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 5:26 PM
  • Caradiodoc

The Body Computer is involved with the delayed wipers. The low and high speeds go directly from the switch to the motor assembly.

Saturday, August 6th, 2011 AT 9:58 PM
  • Truist

So replacing the dimmer and wiper delay switches will not solve that problem, or replacing the entire bezel that these controls are on?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM