CLUSTER LIGHTS

1993 Chrysler Le Baron

truist

July, 29, 2011 AT 3:22 PM

My dimmer switch does not function properly on my 93 lebaron convertible. I saw a question asked about this and it mentioned an interior cluster fuse. Where exactly is that located?

caradiodoc

July, 29, 2011 AT 7:12 PM

Elaborate on "not function properly". That doesn't mean much.

truist

July, 31, 2011 AT 12:13 PM

The dimmer doesn't work but the interior light comes on at the top position. Could an interior cluster fuse be the problem and if so how do I check it.

caradiodoc

July, 31, 2011 AT 7:55 PM

What's the symptom? Do the dash lights not turn on? Are they too bright and don't go dimmer? Does the radio display vary in brightness or is it full brightness all the time? Do the tail lights work? Have you recently installed an aftermarket radio? Do you have the digital display or the regular instrument cluster?

If the tail lights work but the back lighting lamps for the instrument cluster and various switches are not illuminated, check fuse # 8, a 5 amp. As I recall, the fuse box is under the steering column. If the fuse is good, suspect the Body Computer.

truist

August, 1, 2011 AT 1:19 PM

Neither the instrument panel nor the temperature module backlights come on at all. The wiper delay doesn't work either. The tail lights do work.

caradiodoc

August, 3, 2011 AT 8:55 PM

Did you check fuse # 8?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Internet provider was down again yesterday for the entire day.

truist

August, 3, 2011 AT 9:09 PM

Checked the fuse and it was ok. Where is the body computer located and how do I check it?

caradiodoc

August, 3, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

Grab a test light or voltmeter and see if there's voltage on fuse 8.

Next, the Body Computer lives behind the right kick panel. I only have a '94 service manual but it should be the same. Let me know if something is different. Check for voltage on the brown wire to pin 8. It should have 12 volts all the time. Check for voltage on the orange / black wire, pin 10. That voltage should vary depending on where the dimmer is set. If both of those circuits are okay, check for voltage on the orange wire, pin 22. If no voltage shows up there, suspect the computer.

A fast way to verify all the rest of the circuitry is working is to jump pins 8 and 22 together. That will bypass the computer and the back lights should turn on full brightness.

truist

August, 6, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

Also, the wiper works on Low and Hi but the delay doesn't work. Is that the same issue?

caradiodoc

August, 6, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

The Body Computer is involved with the delayed wipers. The low and high speeds go directly from the switch to the motor assembly.

truist

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:34 PM

So replacing the dimmer and wiper delay switches will not solve that problem, or replacing the entire bezel that these controls are on?

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Open Hood Video
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe