Neutral safety switch location

WADEWELLS
  • 1993 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I need to change the neutral safety switch on truck its on the bottom of the steering column on top it looks like it just snaps off and on how is it removed and does the switch need to be in a certain position to work correctly the switch I have rotates around left to right should it be to the left or right to line up with something inside to column to work correctly? Thank you
Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 5:25 PM

KEN

This switch is adjustable and you will need to install both screws first before the adjusting begins. I think they are 5/16th or 8mm. I like to set them so the starter working really well. You might need to lower the column. The part is #3 in the diagram.

There will be a rod end sticking up out of the column which the new switch will need to fit into.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+2
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 7:44 PM
GORGE405
I'm putting a '93 4l60e with no nss. In a '95 truck with a nss. What do I do to switch it? Does it even need to be connected at all?
-1
Sunday, April 15th, 2018 AT 7:57 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning

the newer one is mounted on the side of the trans by the shifter.

No, you do not need it but it is there to prevent the truck from starting in gear and also gives you back up lights.

+1
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 4:11 AM
GORGE405
Thanks roy
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 9:50 AM
GORGE405
Is there a way I can switch it from one trans to other. Or how would you go about this situation?
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 9:51 AM
GORGE405
Tags say:
3wjd
&
5cld
Monday, April 16th, 2018 AT 10:01 AM
M_H_RITZEL
I took the picture and enlarged it, the first one looks top have the neutral safety switch but I can not see where it would work on the other, I may be wrong but if that is the case you would have to run the wires up into the dash to the steering column to a the switch
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 AT 12:17 PM
ASEMASTER6371
I was just thinking. Since you are upgrading the transmission and am currently using your existing neutral switch and you continue to use the column, then you can just continue as you are right now. That way you have reverse lights and it will be protected to start in park and neutral only.

Does that make sense?

+1
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 AT 12:28 PM