Distributor

PASTMASTER
  • 1993 CHEVROLET TRUCK

How to remove replace the pickup coil in distributor in my 93 chevy 1500 pu V/6, would like some assembly pictures, diagrams
to go by, asap t u

Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 10:44 PM

2CARPROS KEN

I have diagrams on the removal and disassembly of the distributor. (Below)

Disconnected the battery before you begin and also put the motor on TDC this will help you align the marks on the distributor a little better. If it's tough to install you may need to move the oil pump drive backwards a little bit.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:43 PM
PASTMASTER
  • 1993 CHEVROLET TRUCK

I had not planned on removing the distributor just to change the pickup coil, my eye sight not good, blind in one and have very blurred vission other, willl need pictures to see how it is assembled, surely this can be installed without removing distributor, course it would be easier to instatl but then I would have extra trouble restabing and retimimg motor on top it all.

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:43 PM (Merged)

What's the reason you trying to get to the distributor pick-up coil? No spark-could be the coil or the ECM in the distributor

DR LOOT

It will be much easier to remove the distributor specially if you can not see, don't be scared just remember which way the rotor is pointing, and the base of the distributor you can mark on the engine and distributor before removal
Removal
Disconnect negative battery terminal. On TBI models, remove air cleaner assembly. On 4.3L Turbo PFI models, drain and remove charge air cooler radiator. See CHARGE AIR COOLER (4.3L) under TURBOCHARGER. Remove upper intake manifold assembly.
On all models, disconnect electrical connectors to distributor. Remove distributor cap and move out of the way. Remove distributor hold-down bolt and hold-down clamp. Note position of rotor. Pull up slightly on distributor until rotor stops turning counterclockwise and again note position of rotor. Remove distributor from engine. CAUTION:Although similar in appearance, components of HEI/EST distributors are NOT interchangeable. See Fig. 10-Fig. 13. Disassembly & Reassembly
Disassembly procedure is not available from manufacturer. SeeFig. 10-Fig. 13 for exploded views of distributors.
When reassembling, ensure pick-up assembly arm is correctly installed on pin. If not, arm can float and cause ignition timing to vary. To prevent corrosion, lubricate terminals with petroleum jelly before installation.
To prevent heat damage, coat bottom of module and module rest pad in distributor housing with silicone grease. Before installing roll pin in driven gear, ensure timing mark on roll pin and rotor tip align. See Fig. 10-Fig. 13.
Installation
To install, reverse removal procedure. To insure correct timing of distributor, install with rotor correctly positioned as it was before distributor was removed.
If engine was cranked after distributor was removed, remove No. 1 spark plug. Place finger over No. 1 cylinder spark plug hole. Crank engine slowly until compression is felt. Align timing mark on pulley to "0" on engine timing indicator. Turn rotor to point to cylinder No. 1 spark plug tower on distributor cap. Complete distributor installation. Start engine and check ignition timing

JOSEPH ALLEN2
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK

He pulled the distributor out without marking it. Now I need to reinstall it. How does it actually go back in I do know about putting it up on top dead center line up the timing marks but where is distributor rotor to point at the number one on the motor? A picture of one on in the ending position would be great.

See picture. Normally rotor points to number one which is about 11:30 on a clock picture is included. If you get a code it may need a mechanic to line up cam/crank sensor with a scanner.

PINEMOUNTAIN
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1996 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

I put a remanufacture motor in my truck and I'm having a heck of a time getting the distributor lined up, I know it doesn't line up with #1 on the cap, But where does it line to?

BLACKOP555

Turn the rotor untill it fits in, make sure the #1 cylinder is on top dead center of the compression stroke and the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire on the cap. Then try to put it in, you may have to rotate it a bit before it will pop in but you can always turn the distributor ot line it back up.

-2