Fusible link keeps frying

BRIANSTEQUILA
  • 1993 CHEVROLET CHEYENNE
I have a 93 chevy 1500 v6 and the truck just lost power in the ignition one night when my wife was driving it. I did a little diagnosing and founf the fusible link fried. I replaced with a new one soldering it on and about 5 days later, it fried again. I did notice the day before the speedo would jump back and forth every once in a while. It did this right when I lost power the second time. The check engine light is on and it is giving code 32 and 43. They was on a few weeks before I had a problem and I am having a hard time figuring out what they are. I am getting different answers with everyone I am talking to. I would like to get the codes fixed and figure out why the fusible link fried twice in a week.
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 10:06 PM

BILLYMAC
32 is a egr problem 43 is a knock sensor. The egr is prob carboned up remove it and clean the carbon out of the pintle. The knock sensor actually advances the timeing it is located on the block under the exhaust manafold. However neither will be the fuse link prob.

The fusible link will most likely be a direct short as in a wire touching the manafold or shorted to the frame or even a shorted ignition switch this is mounted on top of the steering coloumn drop the coloumn to the seat to gain access. Hope this helps feel free to write back if you have more questions. Thanks billy mac
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 11:16 PM
BRIANSTEQUILA
Thank you, I forgot to add that I did change the ignition switch when I was diagnosing. They are cheap and If I have a problem like this I always change it out while I get the starter tested. I did that before I checked the fusible link (I never think to check this, usually thats not the problem.) I am use to older trucks with no computers, everyone was surprised when I bought this one. What would make the speedo jump around like it did? Is it just a byproduct of the link frying and whatever shorting out? Will this narrow down my search on the wiring harness?
Friday, March 25th, 2011 AT 11:46 PM
BILLYMAC
Well it is possible. Usually this is a bad speede sensor. Which is located on the side of the transmission. Where the cable would be on a non computer vehicle. It is possible that the link just failed if it happens again then you may have a problem. Good luck
Saturday, March 26th, 2011 AT 2:14 PM