COMPLETELY FROZEN CALIPER BOLT

1993 Chevrolet Caprice

vintshave

June, 21, 2012 AT 1:10 AM

Help me before I go insane. Please!

I have a 1993 Chevy Caprice Classic. I am working on changing the pads on my front brakes. One side completed successfully. On the other, I was able to remove the top caliper bolt (The bolt is removed with a 3/8 Allen bit and socket wrench) but the bottom one is stuck.

How stuck?

Here is what I tried so far.

-Used the bit with a socket wrench (no dice)
-Held in the socket wrench while hitting the end with a hammer (no love)
-Soaked the area in PB overnight (nada)
-Used a breaker bar with the bit (ended up stripping the inside of the bolt)
-Hammered the area of the caliper where the bolt is frozen (aside from removing dirt, it's still in there)
-Heated the bolt-threads with a blow torch, then tried a Vise Grip on the outside (stripped the outside of the bolt)

I'm not sure what else there is to do and I am desperately looking for ideas. One thought I had was to use a sidecut saw to slice through the pin in a couple of areas to get it off.

DO you think that is the best approach? Any other ideas? I MUST get this off!

Thanks in advance!

June, 21, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

Is it frozen in the caliper or the mount?

vintshave

June, 21, 2012 AT 1:21 AM

Well, the pin is still in the caliper which is still on the car. I don't know if that answers your question. It will not turn AT ALL.

June, 21, 2012 AT 1:33 AM

If you remove the other pin will the caliper rotate at all? If it does, then it is frozen in the caliper. If it does not then it is frozen in the mount.

If it is the caliper, you may have to cut open the caliper at the threads requiring replacement of the caliper.

If it is frozen in the mount, then you need a real torch to glow the mount red to release it.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear