HOW TO ADJUST THE STEERING GEAR ON A

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood

dwfan

December, 5, 2011 AT 2:08 AM

Hi. I have a 1993 Fleetwood that I purchased with 79,000 miles. When I first purchased it, the steering was real sloppy. I replaced the center link and the inner and outer tie rods as all were worn.

The steering tightened up a bit, but it is still sloppy and was narrowed down to the steering gear by a friend who is an ASE CMAT. Before replacing the steering gear, I would like to see if I can adjust it to see if I can improve it a bit.

I know it is possible, but I have no idea how to do it. Can you please advise on the adjustment procedure?

I would like to save the gear till at least next summer, when I plan on swapping it as well as the sway bars, etc out with Impala SS parts to improve handling.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Inner Tie Rod

1 ANSWER

Tie Rods

1 ANSWER

December, 5, 2011 AT 3:31 AM

If you want to adjust the steering box, there is an adjustment on top of the box. Loosen the nut and turn down the screw until the play is about 1/2 inch. Make sure it does not bind up over center or you have it too tight.

Replace Tie Rod End