Thermostat replacement

JORE8888
  • 1993 BUICK CENTURY

How do you remove a thermostat from a 1993 Buick Century 3.3 Do I need to remove the throttle body?

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 11:09 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Here is a guide that will show you what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

Here is more information BELOW

Disconnect battery negative cable.
If necessary, remove air cleaner assembly.
With engine cool, drain engine coolant below thermostat level. Never open cooling system with engine hot.
Disconnect radiator hose from thermostat housing.
Remove thermostat housing retaining bolts, then the housing, gasket and thermostat.

Check out the diagrams (Below) both 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 7:11 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1993 BUICK CENTURY

I have a leak from the black metal heater line that comes from the carb assembly after replacing the thermostat. Does that metal line need a sealant or some form of adheasive when being reconnected after being removed?

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 7:11 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

Which motor?

URP13
  • 1995 BUICK CENTURY

Tools, parts, and instructions needed.

WRENCHTECH

There is nothing special with tools or parts. The stat seals with an O-ring. The hardest thing is just reaching the bolts as they can be difficult. An extension with a 13mm swivel under the exhaust pipe usually works.

-1
TJDPSR
  • 1994 BUICK CENTURY

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 166693 miles

I have locate where the thermostat goes, but I have noticed it is not in a very friendly place to get to, is there a trick or special way to get to this thermostat without knocking the hide off of your knuckles? Also, is there supposed to be a gasket with the new thermostat or is it the rubber gasket attached to it the only one?

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

JALOPYPAPA

Hard indeed to get to without removing the throttle body (it needed a good cleaning, anyway, right?). The throttle body will need a new gasket and sealant for the coolant connection. The thermostat needs only the rubber edge seal, I think. Be sure to place it right side up.

+3
KAZULE
  • 1992 BUICK CENTURY

How can I tell if my thermostat needs to be replaced? My car overheated last weekend, several times, thankfully each time I pulled over, let it cool, and put antifreeze directly into the radiator, which I believe saved my engine. Found out from my bf's cousin that my radiator had a crack in it, so we patched it up with jb weld, waited and test drove it, and all seems fine. Even the heat is hot, which it wasn't before. Also flushed the radiator and reservoir, and put a new cap on the radiator and reservoir. Should I still get my thermostat checked? Car drove about 45 miles and no overheating problems or anything, just still feels a tiny bit rough when I first get going. Put oil in it also, 2 quarts. And I can still just BARELY smell antifreeze every once in awhile when I am driving or done driving. Any ideas?

Could be airlock in the cooling system -try bleeding it and see what happens

How Can I Tell If Thermostat Needs To Be Replaced? Go to this link:http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-engine-cooling-system-thermostat

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 7:12 PM (Merged)
BRAVESTAR1

Only if your not getting any heat, would your thermostat need to be replaced, as it's in the always open position. My question would be, is the fan spinning, when the car has been driven for awhile and sitting at a stop light or parked in your driveway? If the fan isn't cycling on, the engine will overheat, and could possibly cause the crack to the radiator. Check the fan relay switch as well as the radiator thermal plug. Often on GM vehicles, a small 3 inch brass plug with 1-2 wires has broken off the lead, lost the thermistor inside, or isn't grounded properly anymore.

GTINDALL
  • 1992 BUICK CENTURY

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive

3.3 v6 thermostat removal

Fig. 16 Thermostat & Housing Assembly

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_t_11.jpg

Refer to Fig. 16 when performing the following procedure.

1.Disconnect battery negative cable.
2.If necessary, remove air cleaner assembly.
3.With engine cool, drain engine coolant below thermostat level. Never open cooling system with engine hot.
4.Disconnect radiator hose from thermostat housing.
5.Remove thermostat housing retaining bolts, then the housing, gasket and thermostat.
6.Reverse procedure to install noting the following:
a.Ensure thermostat gasket area is thoroughly clean.
b.Install thermostat with new gasket.
c.Apply a suitable sealer to thermostat housing retaining bolts. Install and torque bolts to 20 ft. lbs.
d.Refill and bleed cooling system as necessary.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals_alldata.htm