WHAT WOULD CAUSE MY CAR NOT GO OVER 40MPH AND STALL AFTER 10 MIN OF DRIVING

• legend93uk
  • 1993 Acura Legend

Rpms sometimes go from 1000 to 2500 over and over again and when im driving it sounds like im going faster than 40mph but just doesnt get up there after the car stalls it wont start for a good hour give or take I bought the car at police auction and drove it home for bout thirty min it stalled about three times, since then I changed motor oil&filter, fuel filter and spark plugs runs better but drives the same.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:33 AM

• ProAutoTech
  • 298 posts

Sounds like you have a couple of issues. First, if the rpms are increasing and the car is not gaining speed, your transmission is slipping. The stalling, and in fact the transmission slipping may be due to a faulty ecu if the tranny is controlled by it. I will have to look into it to see if this is the case.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:49 AM
  • KHLow2008

For the stalling, have the PGM-FI main relay checked. It is quite common for the relay to intermittently fail, especially when it heats up.

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:06 PM
  • legend93uk

About the rpms going up and down they do that when the car is just sitting

Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 11:02 PM
  • KHLow2008

Vacuum leaks, idle speed set too high, lack of coolant in system and a faulty IAC would cause the surging.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 1:55 PM
  • legend93uk

Thank u guys im going to use your info and hopefully it works ill get back with more questions and let you know how it goes

Saturday, October 1st, 2011 AT 5:32 PM
  • legend93uk

So I cleaned the iac somewhat helped but then notice coolant was empty and radiator was jus leaking crazy tried barsleak didnt help took out radiator and the aluminum was just flaking off so just replaced that last night jacked it up and now defiently goes over 40mph so thanks alot ur advice was a big help

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 7:54 PM