LOCKING RING

• Kurtisg904
  • 1992 PONTIAC SUNBIRD

How do you remove the locking ring on the steering wheel column? And put it back on?

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 3:35 AM

• Caradiodoc

You'll need a special tool which doesn't cost very much. Anything else will be met with frustration. The tool is a threaded shaft that screws onto the steering shaft. A metal bracket slides on over the tool so its two fingers push down on the lock ring. A nut is threaded onto the tool to push the lock ring down. That gives you hands-free access to pry the wire ring off. With the ring off, the lock plate will lift off when the tool's nut is unthreaded. I think I can find a picture of the tool if you need it.

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 4:09 AM
  • Kurtisg904

That would be helpful if you can send me a picture so I know exactly what I am working with

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 4:11 AM
  • Caradiodoc

If you go to this link, it's the 12th item down the page. This is from Mac Tools and costs $51.99. If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, they will have it too for a lot less. The spacing for new paragraphs isn't working yet on this site so I can't make the link stand out. It starts with the "http" and ends with ".aspx". I'll put it way at the end.

I don't have the black part of the tool. That must be an extension for some applications but I've never needed that. All you need are the two silver parts.

http://www.mactools.com/productdetails/tabid/119/c-23000-specialty-pullers.aspx

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 5:05 AM
  • Caradiodoc

Forgot to mention that a lot of auto parts stores rent or borrow tools and will likely have this one.

Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 5:06 AM