I have an intermittent check engine light (code 41).

ROBERTC
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE 88
Oldsmobile 88 Royal 1992 intermittent check engine light (code 41). Engine performance never changes. No set time or condition when it occurs or goes out or comes back on or goes out again. Checked Cam Sensor connertor and wiring to ECM. Replacer ECM with a spare ECM. No change.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 5:59 PM

Intermittent issues can be a pain to track. You have to test when the problem is ongoing. Because the crank and cam sensors share ref voltage and ground, I'd have to check the crank sensor also.

If you live in a state that doesn't do vehicle inspections and no driveability issues? My state hasn't done vehicle inspections in years.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 8:03 PM
ROBERTC
JDL TY for your help

UP-DATE 28 Sept 2011
ECM and Crank Sensor were replaced Mar 2001.
Replaced Cam Sensor and Check Engine Light is constant now. Removed Cam Sensor and rotated engine to inspect Magnet. No Magnet, only some what looks like some metal shavings and plastic holder. Guess there was enough magnet/shavings there to give intermittent reading.

While I have this all torn apart I am putting in new Timing Gears, rebuilding the Oil Pump and replace the Camshaft Interrupter. Now I know why a shop wanted $900 just to replace the Camshaft Interrupter.

It is recommended that I epoxy the Camshaft Interrupter to the cam gear.
Is this a good idea?
The magnet in the Camshaft Interrupter appears to be incased in plastic.
What could have caused the top of the Camshaft Interrupter to have worn away?
Should I place a drop of epoxy on the magnet to plastic also?

Will rotate engine after replacing timing gears to align Camshaft Interrupter with Cam Sensor opening in timing chain cover. There are no adjustments that I can find for the Camshaft Interrupter or Cam Sensor. Is there anything special I should look for before putting this all back together?
Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
Looks to me like you got it all covered. Using the epoxy is fine, I've never used it on the magnet, itself?
Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 AT 4:37 PM